Falls are on top of the list of the causes of physical injuries in the elderly. Falls can cause mild to severe injuries, especially to senior adults. Even if the fall does not result in severe damage or death, minor injuries, such as hip fractures, head traumas, and leg or arm abrasions can be quite serious and have a devastating effect on the individual’s quality of life over time.
For seniors, even small fractures or injuries are serious consequences of falls. They already have frail bodies that are not suitable for withstanding even minor injuries. Falls can happen anytime and anywhere, and your home is not an exception. Your senior loved one at home might be at risk of falling or slipping, especially if they have difficulty with mobility.
If you want to keep your senior loved ones safe and prevent them from falling or slipping, you should take necessary and appropriate measures. Here are some tips to protect your senior loved one at home from falls:
- Keep your home clean and tidy. Remove all clutter, such as magazines, books, and old newspapers, especially from walkways and staircases.
- Repair damaged home furniture and remove objects that might cause falling or tripping.
- Install grab bars and handrails, especially inside the bathroom so your loved one can hold on to something when going in and out of the bathroom.
- Ensure bright and adequate lighting on walkways.
- Hire home health aides who can assist your loved one while moving around the house.
Breakthrough Healthcare Services is a high-quality provider of home healthcare services in Fort Washington Maryland. We want to help the people in our community achieve a better quality of life.